Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Week 3: Bedbugs!

This has been a very interesting week. We haven't had a lot of lessons because not a lot of people have been home. Which means we have just been walking a ton from door to door as each of our lessons fell through. But this week I have learned more than any other in my life probably. Conference was a great way to finish the week. Those were the shortest sessions of conference ever! It was over so fast! But I have never enjoyed it so much. 

I've had some new interesting foods this week. Let me just say that cow stomach is the worst tasting thing in the world... I don't know why anyone would ever think of feeding that to three young missionaries... Elder West had this one particular big chewy piece in his, when our host wasn't looking he quickly threw it on his napkin and put it in his pocket. As gross as it was we did get some pretty good laughs out of it. fortunately it isn't a very common dish, Elder West has only had it once before in his 21 months here. We did get all of our health food! I love starting the day off with some grains. We also started to run now that I'm starting to get over my cough. 

This past week Elder Huefner and I started to have little itchy red spots pop up all over out legs and arms. Last night we discovered that we have bedbugs! yay! We discovered them right before we went to bed and we didn't really have ay choice but to sleep with them again... We both covered ourselves in bug spray, said a pleading prayer that we wouldn't get eaten alive, and squimeshly climbed onto the infested matress. This morning we pulled the two mattresses out and and deep cleaned so that they wouldn't have any places to hide. My bed was covered in eggs! it would have been a dissaster if they have hatched. But all is well and I'm just grateful that it wasn't worse.

my favorite talk from general conference was probably Elder Oaks. He talked about a lot, but I loved how he talked about making God out first priority. It isn't bad to have other priorities in life, but God should always be on the top. As a missionary this is especially true, if we have out eyes set on something other than God we won't be able to completely fulfill our purpose. It has been something that I've had to stuggle with in forgetting myself and giving my life completely to the work. I want nothing more than to serve with all of my heart, might, mind and strength. But it's sometimes hard to get my heart and mind to be completely here. As I stuggled with this a bit, I found that the best way to overcome it was to study the teachings of Christ. The more I study, the more I realize how I am nothing without God. The more I realize this, the better I can put my trust in him. The more I trust in him, the easier it is to serve him. The more I serve him, the more he becomes my highest priority. 

I love this work, even with all of it's little surprises and adventures. I know at times it may get difficult and hard to bear, but the more I learn to put God as my highest and first priority, the easier it is to endure. Thank you for your prayers and support! Just a note, I would be great if you could pray for the members in my ward. Many of them are offended by the bishop and it's really hard to get anyone to come. 

I love you all! I can't believe that it has already been two months! 
love Elder Twede
The piece of cow stomach that Elder West put in his pocket.


Conference is going to make me fat....

one of my little friends that I've been sharing my bed with.

making sure we don't have any other bug problems. No lice! yay for that!

MMmmmm! Batos de pollo (chicken feet)

Here it goes... 

Yeah... it doesn't taste horrible... but it's more the texture and the thought...

all done... I just realized that I don't have any pictures of me not pulling a weird face... maybe I'll take one really quick just so you know Mexico hasn't made me ugly.. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment